History of

Newtown Square Rotary

OBJECT OF ROTARY
The Object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:

FIRST: The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
SECOND: High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations; and the dignifying of each Rotarian’s occupation as an opportunity to serve society;
THIRD: The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian’s personal, business, and community life;
FOURTH: The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.

THE FOUR-WAY TEST
The Four-Way Test is a nonpartisan and nonsectarian ethical guide for Rotarians to use for their personal and professional relationships. The test has been translated into more than 100 languages, and Rotarians recite it at club meetings:

Of the things we think, say or do
Is it the TRUTH?
Is it FAIR to all concerned?
Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?

 

CLUB HISTORY:

The initial dinner meeting was held on March 24, 1949, at the Newtown Square Hotel, and was the first service club to be established in the township. The Club consisted of members from the Marple, Newtown and Edgmont areas.

 

The first official meeting was held at the Aronomink Country Club. It was at this meeting that the charter was presented to our first president, Dr. James Wheeler of Newtown Square. Subsequently, the meetings were held at the Wilds Tea Room on Sproul Road.

 

On August 19, 1954, the club voted to change its name to The Rotary Club of Newtown Square (NSRC). This action was taken in order to identify the club with a specific community instead of the highway that stretched from Upper Darby to West Chester. The name change was authorized by Rotary International on September 23, 1954.

 

In 1960 under president Kieth Sharp, the Newtown Square Rotary Club" sponsored and help form the Broomall Rotary Club.The Interact Club of Marple-Newtown High School was sponsored by the Newtown Square Rotary Club in 1986. The Interact Club consists of over 100 students that carry the principles and goals of Rotary - Service above Self - and are involved in community projects.

 

In 1991 we happily inducted our first of many female members. Dr. Nancy Hykel-Malone, was joined us October 17th that year and brought with her an exciting perspective.

 

Our members have engaged in may projects large and small with both interest and enthusiasm. We the members of the Newtown Square Rotary Club continue to prioritize our efforts to make our community a better place to live. If this purpose has been achieved, then we in Rotary feel that all the time, effort and money that we have contributed has been worth-wild, and that we have upheld the principle of Rotary - SERVICE ABOVE SELF.

Rotary International © 2017 rotary.org founded 1905; our local club was chartered and proudly serves our Newtown Square community since 1949

Call us:

484-424-9583

Write us:

PO Box 191, Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, 19073, USA